Ordering and Payment of Flies

All orders starts undergoing tying after their have been confirmed and paid for the agreed amount. Commercial orders over 3000 Dozen will require a 70% payment when placing the order and the remaining 30% on completion of the order prior to shipping, unless other arrangements have been made. Payment Terms are Negotiable.

If any of the flies patterns after inspection falls short of the expected standards for any reason, please inform us immediately and we will revise the invoice to deduct the said flies worth or replace the flies pattern with newly tied, and corrected patterns.
With our money back guarantee we will do all we have to do to make it right for you should you feel less satisfied with the quality of any of our flies. Our profession is fly tying and we are also here to serve you.

Ordering from can be done from our website by selecting the desired fly pattern category located on the bottom of each page.

Once you get to the desired category, select the hook size preferred and you will be taken to the cart. At the cart you can then enter the number of dozens required. 

There is also a provision to add any additional or special instructions you would like taken into consideration before proceeding to payments. Special instructions can include anything from making the flies with your preferred color to tying on hook sizes not listed on the website. You may paste your order here also.

You can also e-mail your own typed/scanned or written order to us and still make use of our online checkout payment system.

You can also amend the order provided the flies you need to be changed or replaced are not yet tied and are priced or totaling the already made payment. We cannot deduct or subtract an already placed order but we do accept any additional flies placed before shipping.

PayPal Payments:

Please take special note that for PayPal payments, your order should be worth US$ 200.00 or more to fall under shipping by courier for online tracking purposes as proof of order shipped. 

If you order below that amount, we'll still do the order and provide you with registered mail tracking number.

You can also compile and pay a fly order through PayPal or credit card by sending to us your own list of flies and email the list to us as long as it meets the minimum value mentioned above.

Secure Card Payments:

The shopping cart is set to automatically checkout using this method and all successful transactions are charged in real time.

For orders placed and checked out by the default "Secure card payment" option, there is no minimum order.

Bank Wire Transfer:

For large trade or bulk orders, we prefer bank wire so please contact us for the relevant banking details.                         

 Any and all orders will immediately commence production once payment is confirmed 

Please note: 

Have a mobile phone at hand prior to ordering just in case you are required to confirm a transaction by entering a code sent to your phone to verify.

Some credit card companies will block your card if making unusual or large payments to help protect you against fraud. Always let the card issuer know beforehand if you plan to do a large transaction at a given time or duration.

Your Credit/Debit Card information is completely safe as we neither store nor have access to your Credit/Debit Card Information. You will be re-directed to our merchant processing account's website who will then send us confirmation of your payment.

Please be patient as you are connected to our merchant to process your online payment.

As soon as we receive payment notification, we'll e-mail you to confirm receiving not only your order but also payment. You should also receive an immediate e-mail from our merchant with your payment receipt which you should always keep until you receive your order.

If you need assistance, clarification or question before making payment, contact us.

Failed Payments:

In some rare cases, you may order but fail to checkout at the first attempt. Our shopping cart automatically saves your ordering details but not your payment details which are handled independently by our merchant.

If you encounter such a problem and would like to re-order the same order, please let us know to confirm your order has not been deleted and you will be directed on how to proceed.

Please also ensure the billing address matches the credit card information. You have the option to use a different shipping address if the two are different.